Village - Sirohi

Foundations of Sirohi-

On the plains below Mount Abu is Sirohi, a little town but once the capital of the Deora Chauhanas. Sirohi was founded in 1347 when Muslim invaders appeared, driving the region's ruling clan out of Sirohi. The town itself is well protected by the Aravalli hills which encompass the area, forming a natural barrier against frequent invasions. These very hills discouraged invasions from the Mughals, the Marathas and the Rathores of Marwar. Like for forts all over Rajasthan, numerous battles were fought for the control of Sirohi as well. It is said that Rao Sultan Singh, who ruled Sirhi in the 16th century, fought 52 battles in his 51 years of reign. This was all for a good purpose, for throughout its existence Sirohi was able to thwart dominance from foreign rulers.

Some more details-

  • Migrated Bramhins from Siddhapur (Gujrat), shifted themselves to Sirohi. With the support of locals Gelhots and Parmars they made there base in Sirohi.
  • Locals donated lands and all gorwals made their base in mid of city known as Brahampuri. There awere around 200 gorwals families in Sirohi.
  • As Sirohi was a very small place, there were very few opportunities for bramhins so they shifted to many other areas near by.
  • As Sirohi is the district headquater, So there good schools, colleges, hospitals are avalaible in the town.
  • Basically Sirohi is known a Devnagari, There are numbers of Temple in and around the town. Some of the major Attraction for the town are-
    * Sarneshwar temple
    * Deveshwar Mahadev
    * Sarvadham Temple
    * Ambeshwarji temple
    * Pavapuri Jain temple

Sarneshwar Temple-

Sarneshwar temple is dedicated to Lord Shiv, situated on the western slope of Siranwa hill and is now managed by Sirohi Devasthanam. It is Kuldev of Deora Clan of Chauhans of Sirohi. The temple seems to be built in Parmar Dynasty rule because its structure and layout is similar to other temples constructed by Parmar rulers. A temple may be renovated time to time but the major renovation was carried on in 16th century. In 1526 V.S. Apurva Devi, the queen of Maharao Lakha established Hanuman Idol outside the main gate of the Sarneshwar Ji. The temple was decorated by Maharao Akheyraj in 1685 V.S. In the campus of the temple there are idols of lord Vishnu, A plate consisting of 108 Shiv Lingas.

The temple is surrounded by two courtyards , one is attached to main temple and second is around the whole area, which carries Burj and Chaukis, which represents this temple as fort. Actually this temple is fort temple. Outside the main gate of the temple, there are three decorated huge elephants made of lime & bricks and painted with a colourful look. There was a mandakini Kund in front of the main temple, which was used by the pilgrims for taking holy bath on kartik purnima, chetra purnima and vaisakh purnima. A famous festival of Devothani Akadesi, in every Bhadrapadh month of V.S. is arranged here by the followers and on second day a huge fair of rabbaries is also celebrated, in which nobody except rabbarries is allowed. The cenotophs of the royal family is another attraction in the premises of Sarneshwar temple.

Devshwar Mahadev-

Deveshwar Mahadev is also a major Shiv temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. The temple is maintained by our samaj. It is located some 400 meter from Brahampuri. The gorwal samaj hostel is also locatd in the same premises of the temple.

Sarvadham Temple-

Sarvadham Temple is dedicated to all religions of the world. It is located at the Hq. Sirohi and is one km far from the circuit house of Sirohi. The site, temple architecture, layout of the landscape is fine. Trees of religious importance like Rudraksh, Kalpvriksh, Kunj, Harsingar, Belpatra (tree and scriper) are planted here. Safron plantation is also seen here. The main attraction of this temple is the idols of various gods installed around, inside and top of the temple. This temple can be considered as the monument of the modern century which provides the feelings of National Integration and Harmony.

Ambeshwarji temple-

A place about six miles north of Sirohi on a side track of the National Highway No. 14 from Sirohi to Sheoganj. The kolargarh is situated towards eastern side at a distance of 2 kms. the relics of old fort on Ganesh pole can be seen here where there is a Dharamshalla a Jain temple, Laxmi Narayan temple, Shiv temple and Gorakhmath. On the hill after climbing 400 steps an ancient temple Lord Shiv with its natural beauty and marvalous surroundings with waterfalls can be seen. The whole area is part of Siranwa hills and beautyful dense forest with admirable fauna and floura can be enjoyes. It is said that the relics of the old city and fort of kolar is of Parmar reign.

Pawapuri Jain temple-

Pavapuri The "Pavapuri Tirtha Dham" temple is built by charitable family of Sanghavi Poonam Chand Dhanaji Bafana's family's Trust "K.P.Sanghavi Charitable Trust".The Dhaam is constructed separated in two blocks; first one is Sumati Jeevandaya Dhaam is also named Gou-Shala and second is Pavapuri Dhaam. In Pavapuri Dhaam categorized into a Temple, Place for devotees, Mess for devotees, Dharmshala for devotees, Garden, lake etc.The total constructional land of the Pavapuri Tirtha Dhaam is 150 Bhiga. Inside the temple the main idol of Shree Shankheshwar Parshvanath the 23 lord of Jaina's is of 69 inches. The development work now being completed. The main attraction of the Dhaam is the Temple and the Toran Gate. The green gardens improving beauties of the campus.

The main idol is surrounded with Ashat Pratihariya ( the 8 heroic presentation) and Panch Tirthi ( the 5 trithankar raj) established on a pedestal (Prabhashan) carved with elephants, Yakshas and Godess.